Students of all ages will become engaged in Eco-Games in their schoolyards. They involve scavenger hunts, secret codes, ecological literacy and sparks for further inquiry and action. There are 15 Eco-Games for a FREE download. Just click on the book cover below. For updates follow on Twitter @EcoInquiry
Watch these two minute Youtube videos for how to set up and play Eco-Games.
Each Eco-Game has a matching virtual choice board to deepen knowledge, spark inquiry and engage eco-action. Be sure to visit all Eco-Games on the toolbar above.
Click on The Bird Game Virtual Choice Board below to see an example.
Eco-Games & Virtual Choice Board Rationale:
- Green Teacher Magazine: Outdoor Virtual Choice Boards by Jennifer Baron
- Connect students to learning the curriculum outside
- High level of student engagement
- Balance of green time & screen time
- Use in ANY schoolyard and outdoor educational space
- Ecosystems Knowledge and Systems Thinking
- Sparks Environmental Inquiry and Eco-Action
- Free, healthy, dynamic, inclusive
- Suitable for most Covid19 educational plans and protocols (Check here for updates)
- Sick Kids’ Hospital: Covid19 Guidance for Re-Opening Schools, Updated July 29th, 2020. Note the recommendations for Outdoor Learning on Page 9.
- Aligns with North American Association for Environment Education’s: eeGuidance of Reopening Schools (July 2020)
Resources for Pedagogical Lens behind Eco-Games & Virtual Choice Boards:
- Outdoor Education
- Environmental Inquiry
- Place-Based & Play-Based
- Eco-Action & Youth
- Subject Integrated across all divisions
- Culturally Responsive, Equitable & Inclusive
- Establishing Racial Equity in Environmental Ed
- Mental Health and Well-Being in Nature
- Ten Strategies for Strengthening Outdoor Learning At Your School, by Jennifer Baron. Green Teacher, Fall 2020.